Basilicas and churches

CHURCH OF ST. BERNADETTE
(Opening time: from April to October from 06.00 a.m. to 07.00 p.m.)

It has a capacity of 5000 people of which 320 handicap. Built in front of the Grotto, on the other side of the Gave, in the place where was Bernadette in the 18th July 1858, the day of the last apparition. It was inaugurated the 25th March 1988.
There are some movable panels that allow to divide it into two parts (Coté Carmel and Coté Grotto) providing two simultaneous celebrations, while some adjacent small rooms allow many groups to come together in moments of meeting and prayer. The architect Jean-Paul Felix has built this structure with concrete and metal referring to the shape of a butterfly with spread wings.

THE CRYPT

(Opening time: from April to October from 07.00 a.m. to 07.00 p.m. and from 00.00 a.m. to 07.00 a.m. for the adoration during night, from November to March from 07.00 a.m. to 07.00 p.m.)

It has a capacity of 120 people of which 5 handicap. It is situated under the Superior Basilica excavated to 25 meters in length in the rock that it opens into the platform, where rests the dome of the Rosary Basilica. It was inaugurated at the day of Pentecost in the 1866, age where the pilgrimages began in Lourdes. It was the first to be open at the worship in those days, also Bernadette has participated at the inauguration before she left from Lourdes. Among the many workers who took part in the work for its construction, there was also Bernadette’s father. At the entry, just on the corridor you can see the statues of St. Peter and St. Pius X (Pope issued the Bull by which stretched the liturgical worship of the Apparitions Lourdiane to the whole Church). Inside, the walls are completely covered with touching ex-voto coming from all over the world, evidence of the many graces received through the intercession of the Virgin Mary.

BASILICA OF THE IMMACULATE CONCEPTION
(Opening time: from April to October from 06.00 a.m. to 07.00 p.m. and from November to March from 08.00 a.m. to 06.00 p.m.)

It is located inside the Sanctuary above the Basilica of the Rosary in front of the Crowned Virgin (its entrance is located above the two steps).
In the lobby, in Gothic style, is placed the medallion of Pope Pius IX (Pope in the days of Bernadette), who in 1854 proclaimed that the Virgin Mary “conceived without sin” (Immaculate Conception). Built on the rock of the Grotto of Massabielle (the apse is located just above the place of the Apparitions), it was inaugurated the 15th August 1871 and consecrated the 2nd July 1876. It is externally topped by a slender octagonal spire that, ending with a cross, soars the bell tower of 70 meters, in which on top there is a bronze clock that chimes every hour with typical notes of the Ave Maria of Lourdes.
The single-nave basilica (m. 51 × 21) is decorated inside with banners bearing witness to the presence in Lourdes pilgrimage from all over the world; the windows of the 15 side chapels, the work of two artists in Paris, tell the succession of apparition while those at the top of the Biblical story of Mary and Eve.

ROSARY BASILICA

(Opening time: from April to October from 06.00 a.m. to 07.00 p.m. and from November to March from 08.00 a.m. to 06.00 p.m.)

It has a capacity of 1500 people of which 50 handicap. This is the last of the three basilicas overlapped for building (1883-1901), located at the base of the Gothic-Byzantine imposing style designed by Durand. It is also situated inside the Sanctuary, its entrance is between two steps, where there is a large portal on which stands the lunette above characterized by the Virgin and Child in place to deliver the Rosary to St. Dominic (propagator of this prayer).
On the facade you see the medallions depicting Pope Leo XII (the Pope of the Rosary) and Pope Pius XII (the Pope who in 1954 opened the year Mariano).
The Basilica was opened in 1889 and consecrated in 1901.
Upon entering you notice the big lobby in Greek cross (Mt. 52 × 48) and the beautiful mosaics of the vault of the choir (Mary welcomes with open arms his children, surrounded by angels), also hard not to notice all of the 15 chapels dedicated to the 15 mysteries of the Rosary. Proceeding from left to right you can recite the joyful, sorrowful and glorious, arriving finally in the chapel dedicated to the coronation of the Immaculate Virgin Mary. This Basilica is the artistic heritage of the European Union.

BASILICA ST. PIUS X X
(Opening time: from April to October from 06.00 a.m. to 07.00 p.m. and from November to March from 08.00 a.m. to 06.00 p.m.)

Underground Basilica, the main entrance is located on the “Esplanade” between the entrance to St Michel and the statue of the Virgin Mary the Crowned. The entrance is easy to identify as indicated by the cross of the Eucharistic Congress of 1981.
Another entrance is located on the “Boulevard Rémy Sempé”, before the door St Joseph.
The Basilica is surely one of the greatest buildings of the liturgical world with its 12,000 square meters and it can accommodate up to 25,000 people. Designed by the architect Pierre Vago assisted by Pinsard and Le Donné architects. The consecration of the basilica was on March 25, 1958 by Angelo Cardinal Roncalli (later Pope John XXIII). The consecration year was selected to celebrate the centenary of the 18 visions of the Virgin Mary by Saint Bernadette.
The interior is characterized by the arrangement of 58 pillars which make 29 arches making a large porch along which you can admire the beautiful “Gemmail” reproducing the 14 Stations of Cross (west side) by De Solere and the 15 mysteries of the Rosary (east side) of the work Falcuci.
At the center of the Basilica there is the altar of the Chapel of the Blessed Sacrament (otherwise called the Chapel of Peace of Christ) under which houses a relic of St. Pius X.

I commenti sono chiusi.